Coming shortly at Sprat & Winkle Quilters will be an evening working on Disappearing Pinwheels as demonstrated by Missouri Star Quilting Company on You Tube. I spent some time yesterday “playing” with this method and pictured below are the results. For anyone attempting this method I would recommend that all fabrics are sprayed with starch at the outset as after stitching of the initial 10″ squares together, all further seams are on the bias. This can make things a little tricky. I enjoyed the results and plan to make lots more when I next have a space in my sewing timetable.
a partially completed table runner
You all know that the Prima shift dress pattern from way back is one of my favourites. I recently purchased Colette “Peony” dress pattern but on closer inspection decided that with some minor alterations I could use my Prima pattern by cutting the bodice at the waist and adding a box pleated skirt (I am really “into” box pleats at present). I had this very busy Roses printed cotton in my stash so away I went. I decided to line the cap sleeves with a contrast which I then “edged” down to provide a narrow faux piping at the hem. I used the same contrasting Cerise Pink cotton to make some “real” piping at the neck edge. The box pleats were easy and I lined them up with the body darts on the bodice. Again I hand picked the centre back zip which came from the stash that my father accumulated whilst working for Opti-lon zips back in the 1960’s and 70’s. I was able to make the dress using just 2.3 metres of 114cm wide fabric but as I was running out of fabric fast there is only one side seam pocket which is on the right-hand side. I am so pleased with this dress that I shall certainly make it again – next time using a fabulous Flamingo print which will make a “stand out in the crowd” birthday dress.
In my previous post I mentioned that the Blue Tulip print dress made to Simplicity 2886 with my own personal variations was one of my favourites whilst on my cruise. So… I made another one. This time I used a fresh Green background “daisy” print from Fabricland teamed with co-ordinating Green and White Gingham fabric. The dress went together quickly as I had already made adjustments to the pattern. I hand picked the centre back zip and added a tie belt at the side seams to improve the fit. The contrast gingham at the neckline means that there are already two layers of fabric so I decided to bind the neckline and armholes with gingham bias binding. Made to a finished width of just 1/4″ it was subtle and effective. I wore the dress yesterday when visiting Fabricland in Salisbury and received many compliments. Just right to perk up my confidence!
Back home after a terrific cruise to the Canary Islands, Madeira and Vigo (Santiago de Compostela), Spain. All my new dressmaking has now been road(sea)-tested. Regretfully some items have been found wanting and are therefore listed for sale on eBay. Hopefully they will sell and provide funds for more dressmaking. My favourite items were the Prima dress 46, the second nautical themed blouse combined with the 4-gore circular skirt, the “Loralie” blouse in Truro fabric and the Variations on a theme Simplicity 2886 Blue Tulips dress. The Cherries print shoes have also been listed for sale as I only managed to walk in them for half-an-hour, those giddy heights of 4.5″ heels are not the most appropriate shoes to wear on the “high seas”!