Monthly Archives: April 2021

Cowl Neck Freya #4

I bought 1.5 metres of this viscose jersey called ‘Sunny Spring’ for £15.00 from Stitchy Bee just last month. Remembering how well the Cowl neck Freya from Tilly and the Buttons book ‘Stretch’ works with this substrate, decided that was exactly what I would make with this length of fabric.

My copy of the pattern is now Tried and Tested so this time the construction was very straightforward. I stitched mostly using my overlocker but also the sewing machine for the top stitching around the neckline and twin needles for the hem on the body of the Freya.

It took just a couple of hours this afternoon to complete the top which fits very nicely into my ‘Spring Greens and Daffodils’ theme. The top looks good with both Grey and Blue denim jeans and will be comfortable and smartly casual.

project #30 completed 10th April 2021

‘Happy Stripes’ top

Time to revisit the Sewaholic Fraser top view B. I last made this back in February this year with some inexpensive Ponte that I had purchased from an eBay seller.

This time I was using a stunningly soft, fine French Terry called Happy Stripes designed for you by POPPY Europe Oeko-Tex 100. This has beautiful painterly stripes on an ivory background. A gorgeous fabric with a fine looped reverse from Stitchy Bee. The fabric costs £15.00 per metre and I bought 1.5 metres but worth every single penny!

The fabric is 160cm wide, has a composition – 95% Cotton 5% Elastane. Oeko-Tex Confidence Compliant – Tested for harmful substances. So I wanted a top that would compliment this fantastic fabric.

For my Fraser top there were just a few minor alterations to the pattern; I cut a generous size 20 and used only ¼ inch side seams. Lowered the front neckline 1 ½ inches at centre front then graded back to the original neckline. Added 3 inches to the length of the front and back body patterns. Added the neckband (cut 2 inches wide) and sleeve bands cut so that the stripes were vertical and ignored the hem bands on this version.

Matching stripes was relatively easy, especially as I had noticed that they were uneven so made sure to cut out all pieces in the same direction.

Conclusions: The sleeve hem bands were great but I will probably go back and re-cut the neckline wider and lower so will need another neckband and this time a little narrower than before. Other than that a great new top that will coordinate with many ‘bottoms’.

Project #30 completed 11th April 2021

Moira dress #9 in Mustard Viscose

Having completed the Kitty dress in Autumnal tones Feather print viscose I began planning my Spring sewing collection which I have called ‘Spring Green and Daffodils’.

First I made the pin tucked tunic top (B6024) that has been on my ‘to do’ list for several years. Then I wanted to make another Yellow/Mustard dress that would have different features to my current Yellow Springtime dress.

I bought a length of Golden Yellow/Pale Mustard Floral Breeze viscose from JJTextiles, Manchester for £18.00 back on 13th November 2020. I had 4 metres of this fabric and decided to use my TNT ‘Moira’ pattern to make a dress with deep hem frill. Originally I had intended to add full length sleeves gathered into a cuff. Then I thought I would draft a fuller short sleeve that would be gathered into a frilled cuff but when it came to cutting out, I stuck to the standard sleeve. If I had sufficient fabric I would possibly add a frill to the hem of the sleeves.

Construction of this dress is like a well-oiled machine. There is a full lining in Ivory Viscose Voile that was purchased in bulk from the Fabric Room. I can usually complete the sewing in two sessions but this time due to interruptions and a bout of illness it has taken several.

At last it is completed, as usual I am pleased with the resultant dress that is so comfortable and easy to wear. Now I can get on with the next project on my ‘to make’ list.

Project #29 completed 9th April 2021

Pin Tucked Tunic Top Butterick B6024

I have had this tunic top on my eBay watch list for over a year. Having checked the price for this 90%polyester/10% cotton blend and read the reviews which were not particularly good I knew that I would have to make my own. Now finally I have got around to making my version using this pretty quilting cotton print fabric.

I bought a length of about 3 metres several years ago at the Festival of Quilts and have made view B of the pattern Butterick B6024.

I have used this pattern before for both a tunic top and also extended to full length for nightdresses so did not feel that it would be necessary to make a toile. I made just 2 changes to the pattern by shortening the sleeves by 2 inches and the body by 1 inch before cutting out the fabric. In my haste, I forgot that the fabric had not been washed so I hope that there will be problems once the tunic top has been laundered.

Construction was straightforward, the only change that I made was to stitch the bias binding on the neckline in reverse, i.e. stitched to the inside first then turned to the right side and top-stitched in place. The sleeve elastic casing was made ½ inch wide. I used cord elastic cut to a length so that once in place there was no tension and thus no impression left on my forearm should I push the sleeves up beyond my elbow. All seams were overlocked and the narrow hem was overlocked, turned twice and top-stitched in place.

Conclusion: There is some ‘dressing’ in the fabric which means the tunic is not as soft as I would like. I hope that this will improve once laundered. If I make the top again, probably in viscose to improve the drape, I will add back the 1 inch length but leave the sleeves as before.

Project #28 completed 2nd April 2021