A Change of Plan – Prima version 53

When I bought this Black Watch Tartan suiting from Fabricland, I had planned to make a pinafore dress using the Prima Shift dress pattern with the addition of a bias frill at the hem. I have re-drawn the pattern as by now it was becoming very tatty and I thought – New Year, New copy of the pattern. I carefully laid out the Front and Back body pieces, taking special notice of the tartan design lines to ensure that they matched up at the side seams. I cut out those pieces plus the two bias hem frills and the neckline facings. I would wait and see how the construction and fitting went before deciding how to finish the armholes. There was a great deal of fabric still laid out on the cutting board so I decided to add some 3/4 sleeves. Again I ensured that the pattern matched along the front bodice and top of the sleeves. I made up the dress until I got to second fitting stage and then, as there was still a length of fabric remaining decided to try for a bias-cut cowl collar. I cut the bias section 25″ long x 15″wide and tacked to the neckline. It seemed to look OK so I proceeded to machine in place. Once the dress was finished with wide-spaced double top-stitching to sleeve and bias frill hems I tried it on again. Now I am not sure about the collar.  I will leave it a while and if necessary will remove the collar and replace with the neckline facings that I had prepared at the beginning of the project. The joy of making your own clothes means that you can always change your mind!



                         The Bias Cowl Collar                                                                  The Bias Hem Frill