When the Tilly and the Buttons “Cleo” dungaree dress pattern was released it immediately called to me. I checked out various versions that other bloggers had made and finally, on 28th December I managed to find time to cut out and stitch my own version. I used the size 8 knee length version as a starting point and adjusted up to my personal dimensions . Included in those adjustments, I increased the width of the “bodice” at the front, though later discovered that this was a mistake and involved me in making alterations to a completed garment. Gasp with horror as I don’t do alterations!!
I used some lovely soft Black Corduroy from my stash and a contrasting Black background floral print cotton left over from a previous project, for the pocket linings and facings. I included both the front breast pocket and the two back hip pockets. The dress was a simple construction. All major seams were stitched then flat felled into place. I stitched the entire length of the front seam and omitted the short slit. Turning the straps through to the right side was very time consuming and next time I will press and fold then top stitch them in place without turning through.The pockets, straps and around the top of the bodice part were all double top-stitched in Black. The hem was overlocked and machined in place.
I used a Nickel set of Bib and Brace hardware that was in my stash and have worn the dress with Black leggings and a Red polo neck sweater. Comfortable and easy to wear although I did find that I kept fiddling with the bib and brace so will have to machine them in place. I also found that the reverse of the fabric “grabs” onto my sweater and leggings, despite wearing a short slip. If I make this dress again in corduroy (or needlecord), I will line with anti-static lining.