Back in December I made Breton-style tops for both my sister and me. For those I used the View A of the Fraser sweatshirt top by Sewaholic. This year I am ‘on a mission’ to make several Breton-style tops for us which, hopefully, we will be able to wear on our next cruise holiday.
I have just finished version #5 for me and here is #6 for Catherine.
Again I revisited View A of the Fraser pattern but as I had found the points of the contrast panels a little difficult to manage I decided to re-draw the yoke with a more gentle curve.
Catherine had chosen the Blue stripe on White ponte roma combined with the White background floral print for the front and rear yokes. She did not want the contrast sleeve yokes.
The alterations to the pattern were the same as before; extended body length and no cuffs on the sleeves or hem band. Once again I found that I wanted to deepen the neckline front by 1 ½ inches and widen by ½ inch at each side neck point. When pattern matching the stripes it was made much easier by the fact that Ponte was such a stable knit. When I laid out the floral printed fabric I was reminded that the stretch was opposite to the width. I had to be careful when laying out the pattern to be sure the stretch was crosswise on the yokes. This time around the construction was made a lot easier with the gentle curve of the front yoke.
From my experience of making #5 I knew that a contrast fabric neckband would not be appropriate and therefore cut 2 inch wide piece from the floral Ponte which I think works well.
All seams were sewn with the overlocker, the yokes and neckband were top stitched on the machine. The single turned hem on the sleeves and body were overlocked prior to twin needle stitching in place. I took care to ensure that the Navy stripe sat on the edge of the hem and stitched with White thread on the White stripe with the twin needle.
I am pleased with how this top has worked out and look forward to seeing Catherine wearing it.
Project #14 completed 23rd February 2021