Freya Cowl neck Top

I have had the Tilly and the Buttons book “Stretch” in my bookcase for several years now but so far only used one pattern – the ‘Joni’ dress.

Browsing the internet I have seen several versions of ‘Freya’ with the cowl neckline and having some Rust print Ponte in my stash decided that this would be a good pattern to make up and coordinate with my Brown Ponte trousers.

The Ponte is a 97% polyester 3% Spandex mix from Minerva. Although the pattern instructions advise 2 metres, I bought only 1.5 metres at a cost of £6.99/metre as I knew that due to my short arms (!) it would probably be sufficient.

The patterns in Tilly’s book only go up to a size 8 which is 2 sizes smaller than I need. I traced out the pattern and made my grading alterations to give the equivalent of a Tilly-size 10. I also shortened the sleeves by 4 inches, knowing that I could add back to the length with a cuff.

I cut out the pattern from the fabric and there is a generous remnant that I can use for other projects. The cuffs worked well and brought the sleeves to just the right length. The hem of the top was stitched with twin-needles. It took just over an hour to make the top – and what a great result! The colour and style compliment the Brown trousers beautifully and also goes well with my Denim wrap skirt.

I will definitely be making up this pattern again, both as a top or extended into a dress. The only alteration for a top will be to make it slightly bigger at the waist and add at least 2 inches to the length of the body. Otherwise a resounding success!

Project #5 completed 15th January 2021