The previous posting describes the demonstration wraparound skirt that I was asked to make to advertise an upcoming workshop at New Threads, Weyhill Fairground.
I cut out the skirt and realised that I could utilise the scraps to enhance a plain top that would be fitted onto the dressmaker’s dummy when displaying the skirt.
I cut out the top to a size 12 using some plain White polyester Cotton and in just over 2 hours had completed the tunic top.
I made reverse facings using the scraps of printed cotton and also added bands to the hems of the sleeves. All construction seams were overlocked and then faux flat felled into place. This gave a really neat finish to the insides of the top. I allowed 5” slits to the side seams and then topstitched the hem using my widest-set twin-needle. The hems on the sleeves are hand slip-stitched inside as I did not want to sew over the printed design.
Now that the demonstration garments are completed and bearing in mind the dissatisfaction with the recent tunic top that I made for me, I plan to re-visit my TNT Go Anywhere Dress pattern. I want to draft a tunic top which will be a little more fitted and also have set-in sleeves with narrower shoulder seams. Watch this space…..