I originally purchased 4m of this Hidden Cheetah viscose linen at £6.69/metre back in June 2020 from the Textile Centre. I was planning to make the Bastion Culottes. However, at the time I did not get around to it but the fabric had been laundered and was in my stash pile.
Back in the 1980’s I had a favourite midi-length plain Cream skirt that had a fixed waistband into gathers. There were brass buttons down the front and concealed side seam pockets. The finishing touch was broderie anglaise trim around the hem.
I loved that skirt and decided that although the Hidden Cheetah is a print it would be a suitable replacement/wearable toile. I have made the Jenna skirt by Seamwork patterns several times before and it has the advantage of an elasticated back waistband. I used the waistband from the Jenna skirt and then cut rectangles for the two fronts and the back skirt panels. I also used the inseam pocket pattern from the Jenna.
Making up the skirt was straightforward. I made French seams throughout. I doubled up on the fusible interfacing for the front waistband and also fused a 3 inch wide length on the two front edges to support the buttons and buttonholes. I was most fortunate to find an almost exact colour match for the buttons in my stash. There is even a spare stitched inside the button band. I turned up and hand stitched a 3 inch hem to give some weight to the skirt as I discovered that the viscose linen was very lightweight.
Having dressed the mannequin in the skirt I could not find any suitable tops! For the time being it has been photographed with a plain Black polo neck which I never wear.
The final part of this reincarnation of my long-lost skirt was to apply a broderie anglaise trim to the hem. I could only find a brilliant white trim in my stash and so I have tea-dyed the 3 metre length which is now drying on the airing rack. I will audition the trim tomorrow and if it is acceptable, will machine to the bottom of the skirt. Currently the finished length is 29 inches but with the trim it should finish at about 31 inches.
I have sufficient fabric to make a coordinating top and having draped on the mannequin will now draft a draped neck, short sleeve shell top to be worn with the skirt. I also have some lovely dobby spot viscose in Ivory so will make sure that gets made up soon rather than later.
Project #22 completed 8th March 2021