Honeysuckle#3 – Fruity Blouse

After completion of the Fruity Polly #4 dress I had almost 1 metre of a 100% cotton printed with ‘fruit’ remaining. I had originally purchased 4 metres for the grand sum of £21.48 from jjtextiles of Manchester. The ability to get 2 garments from the fabric was a real bonus!

I used my Honeycomb/Saraste-style hack blouse pattern (project #46 – now referred to as ‘Honeysuckle’) for the pattern but due to lack of fabric omitted the frills. Instead to bring a little extra to the design, I added some ric-rac trim from my stash to outline the collar and part of the front button closure.

I don’t quite know how or understand why, but once cut out and basted together the blouse was much too big! I refined the size by trimming 5/8 ths from each side seam from waist to hem and on the side back and side front panels. Now it is fine.

I used some self bias binding to finish the armholes but as I took only a miniscule seam allowance I find that they are a little tight. I have amended the pattern and may well go back and re-finish the armholes with plain binding as I no longer have sufficient fabric for a self bias binding. I used 5 of the 4-hole Green buttons from my button stash. In truth the blouse could do with an additional button and buttonhole at the top but for now I am using a tiny safety pin! The final touch was top stitch the facing in place and machine a narrow hem.

The blouse will compliment several denim and linen skirts and trousers that I have in my wardrobe as well as co-ordinating with the Ponte cardigan as shown in the dress post # 50.

Project #53 completed 15th September 2020

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *