You are probably wondering why there is a picture of a Superking Duvet set in a dressmaking post. Inspired by Mel of Ditsy Tulip I wanted to investigate the possibility of making clothes using fabric previously in the form of bed linen. Dunelm were having a sale so I visited the Salisbury store to check out for some bargains. I struck Gold! I ended up buying three sets of Superking duvet covers. The cheapest was a mere £14.99 and used to make a dress which has already appeared on this blog. Hummingbirds however was not reduced but at £32 it still represented great value for money.
I chose this particular pattern as I was looking for something in Duck Egg Blue colourway to coordinate with our bedroom décor. I also needed a set of nightdress and dressing gown to take away with me on my upcoming travels.
I had previously made at least two dressing gowns using my TNT pattern – Simplicity 8486 and so having laundered the duvet set and unpicked all the seams, I cut out a full length version of View A.
The only alteration to the pattern was to reduce the length by a couple of inches and the sleeve length also by 2 inches. I added a narrow hanging loop on the inside of the centre back neck. The pattern calls for concealed side seam pockets but I substituted patch pocket.
Initially, I thought that I would use the reverse of the duvet cover which is the same print but on a White background (as shown in the picture above) for the nightdress full length View B, details of this will appear in another post.
I was fortunate that I had an exact colour-match of thread and all raw edges are enclosed in French seams. I added some lace detailing on the sleeve cuffs and patch pocket tops. In very quick time the dressing gown was completed and I am delighted with the result. I now make a point of ‘wafting’ around in my gown for at least 20 minutes every morning!