You are probably wondering why there is a picture of a Superking Duvet set in a dressmaking post. Inspired by Mel of Ditsy Tulip I wanted to investigate the possibility of making clothes using fabric previously in the form of bed linen. Dunelm were having a sale so I visited the Salisbury store to check out for some bargains. I struck Gold! I ended up buying three sets of Superking duvet covers. The cheapest was a mere £14.99 and used to make a dress which has already appeared on this blog. Hummingbirds however was not reduced but at £32 it still represents great value for money.
I chose this particular pattern as I was looking for something in Duck Egg Blue colourway to coordinate with our bedroom décor. I also needed a set of nightdress and dressing gown to take away with me on my upcoming travels.
Having made the dressing gown using the Duck Egg Blue background side of the Duvet cover, I turned my attention to the reverse. This was a White background but had the same design print so would coordinate beautifully with the dressing gown.
I had previously made at least two versions using my TNT pattern Butterick 6024. I used version of view B with the short sleeves from view D cut out at full length so that the nightdress would be just 1 inch shorter than the dressing gown.
The tucks are a feature of the nightdress and I took time to mark them up carefully. All seam raw edges are enclosed in French seams and the hem of the sleeves and the body of the nightdress are double turned before machining in place.
Having completed the long version I was delighted to discover that I had sufficient fabric to make a second nightdress using the same pattern. This one is shorter and has a frill around the hem (to extend the length). Again all raw edges are enclosed in French seams and hems are double turned and machine stitched.
I now make a point of ‘wafting’ around in my nightdress and dressing gown for at least 20 minutes every morning!