My journey exploring jersey fabrics continues. Whilst visiting the Sewing for Pleasure Show at the National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham I indulged in a buying feast of jersey fabrics and sewing patterns for knits. This project is the first in a series of NEW patterns and was inspired by seeing a visitor at the show wearing this same style made up in a cheerful textured Red jersey.
From ‘The Shuttle’ stand at the show I purchased 4 metres of a multi-coloured ‘lacy’ knit fabric. I decided to make version A of the pattern but would add the cowl collar from view B.
Having checked the Body measurements I decided to cut the XL size and hope that it would not be too big across the shoulders. When laying out the pattern pieces I noticed that the side panel could very easily be pinned to the main front panel and therefore remove an extra seam which when making the top in such a ‘busy’ fabric would get lost in the design.
I changed all the threads on my JUKI Overlocker and re-set the sewing machine with a single jersey needle and Black threads. Now I was set to stitch!
The construction of the top was straight forward and within a couple of hours was completed. I tried on the top and discovered that it fits well except that it is wider than I like across the shoulders. Next time I will cut the size ‘L’ and grade out at the waist and hips for my generous curves. Having extended the sleeves from ¾ length to full length, I found that they were quite wide. I ran the sleeves through the overlocker again and reduced the width at the hems by 2 inches grading to 0 at the underarm. I must remember to mark the pattern accordingly.
Having purchased 4 metres I found that I used only 3 metres so have just 1 metre left to make a basic shell top. More of that in another post.