Libby Shirt in Hyde Park

I don’t mean the Hyde Park in London, this is the name of the design of cotton fabric that I used to make a version of the Libby Shirt by Sew Over It.

This will be the 4th iteration of the Shirt which is definitely one of my favourites to wear although I always have a little trouble making the collar. I don’t let that prevent me from making the Shirt but I always use a nice stable cotton fabric as this helps enormously.

For this version I made my usual alterations to the pattern by extending at the side seams by 1/2 inch and extending the length of View 2 by 4 inches. I wanted to keep back some of the fabric for patchwork and quilting so had to use some White Lily of the Valley printed cotton just for the undercollar. There is also a centre back seam in the Upper collar.

As this is a good stable cotton fabric I did not feel the need to make French seams. Instead all seams are finished with overlocking.

Having attached the front and back bodice to the yoke it was now time to tackle the collar. I revisited the notes on the Sew Over It site and also the ‘sewalong’ that Lisa had made during lockdown. I finally completed the collar and attached together with the front facings. The end result is good but I am still not over confident with the construction.

The instructions for Libby have you attach the sleeve cuffs before sewing the side seams. I like to attach ‘in the round’ but in this case it was not the wisest decision. Next time I will follow the instructions!

Finally the hem was overlocked and then turned up twice before top-stitching. Five buttons from my stash and corresponding buttonholes, all sewn on my Brother 4000D machine which is ‘ace’ at these functions.

Ta dah! A lovely new Libby blouse that fits perfectly into my ‘Spring Greens & Daffodils’ collection.

Project #33 completed April 2021