I have promised to offer an alternative to the Dachshund Pin Dog at the next meeting of Sprat & Winkle Quilters. I previously made up my first ‘trial’ using a free pattern from the internet.
Free internet pattern
My first attempt – version1
There are several areas that I would like to improve and so I sat down and re-drafted/redesigned the pattern.
I added a long upright tail to the body and spent some time working on a design for the head that would also be included on the body pattern. By doing this rather than attaching the head separately it should do away with the ‘weakness’ that one often gets at the join. We don’t want a floppy-headed Kitty!
I used a fat quarter of Black background cotton fabric from my stash to make version 2 of the Kitty Cat Pin Cushion.
Pattern payout on a Fat Quarter of fabric
First, I made the ears which were turned right side out and folded before inserting into the dart on the side head part of the pattern.
Stitched up and ready for stuffing
Unfortunately by not paying attention, one of the ears is folded the wrong way and I think they are a little bit too ‘perky. They need to be wider at the base and set slightly lower down the side of the head but for this trial version I don’t think that it matters a great deal. I found that I still needed to make the darts in the leg parts of the underbelly gusset as otherwise Kitty would have legs splayed out flat rather than standing on all four paws. There is a gusset for the head which still needs some refinement as I think it looks more like a terrier dog’s head. Stuffing took a while, starting with the tail, moving onto the back legs, then the head and front legs and finally the main body.
Version 2 – Ready to play!
I feel that I have nearly perfected this project. Hopefully the next version will be the definitive Kitty Cat. Miaow.