The king size sheet for use as the backing has arrived and been laundered. It was just as well that I washed the sheet as expected the cololur did run a little. Unfortunately there were a few other garments already in the washing machine when I set it off – hence we now have a few pale blue garments that were previously white! Whilst my husband was out this morning I layered up the quilt top with its 80/20 cotton/polyester wadding and the backing sheet. I used a temporary spray adhesive whilst laying out the 3 fabrics on the sitting room floor. The carpet is a good foundation for using the safety pins for “basting” the layers together. Whilst this method of stretching a quilt top is not really to be recommended it works for me – although once I have had knee replacement surgery I do not foresee being able to repeat the exercise on my next large project. Once I return from hospital I shall set up the machine for quilting and work a simple trellis design on the quilt before adding the final binding.
The Quilt “Sandwich” ready for quilting.