‘Kitty’ Dress in Lewis & Irene printed cotton

As a break from making samples for the classes, I wanted to finish a dress that was originally included in my plans for August and September.

I have had the great fabric, ‘My friends in the Garden’ by Lewis & Irene, in my stash for a long, long time. I did get to cut out a ‘Kitty’ dress with gathered skirt but with one thing and another, have not got around to construction, until now. Even though the print is possibly a bit ‘summery’, due to the dark background colour and the fact that the cotton is a little heavier than the usual quilting cotton, this dress will be ideal as a trans-season option, worn with tights and a cardigan.

The ‘Kitty’ dress is a hack from my basic bodice plus the collar and facings from the Bolero jackets that I made back in June. The previous ‘Kitty’ was a button through shirt-dress as I wanted to use some great coordinating buttons, but this time I have made the bodice only as button-up. The buttons are re-cycled from a pair of my husband’s pyjamas.

As the pattern is very busy I needed to accentuate the outline of the collar which I have done by adding some Bright Pink piping. To make the setting of the piping easier, I have rounded off the corners of the collar. The facings have been machined on place to avoid any chance of them popping out.

The sleeves are the usual short length but due to the thickness of the fabric I did not self-line them. Instead I made some self bias binding which has been machine stitched in place.

The skirt is made from two full-width panels and has pockets set into the side seams. I used my TNT pocket bag pattern which means the bags are stitched into the waistline seam and are thus prevented from ‘flapping about’. The 2 inch hem has been hand sewn.

I notice from my wardrobe that I am a little short of trans-seasonal dresses, especially in Autumnal shades so will include plans for another cotton print ‘Kitty’ to be made this month.