Maryon #2

Hot on the tails of the success of Maryon #1 – a wearable toile, I decided that I needed another version. This time I fancied a Pink dress in cotton poplin.

Floral print cotton poplin

I purchased this pretty floral print cotton poplin in April 2022 from an ebay seller (fabrics-online) for a total cost of £15.16. There were 4 metres x 147cms wide. Once I had completed the cutting out I found that I had used only 2.66 metres of the very wide fabric. I now have 1.34 metres remnant to make a blouse. Result!

Noting some things that were ‘not quite right’ about the Maryon #1, I first ‘finessed’ my pattern. I altered the neckline slightly and trimmed down the side seams by 1/8th inch. I would change the way that the waist darts are sewn so that they more closely fit my rib cage.

First I made up the skirt with the concealed side seam pockets. I used French seams as I particularly like the insides of my garments to look neat. French seams will help to prolong the life of the dress through many washes.

Next, onto the bodice. I marked and stitched the darts also adding stay stitching to the front neckline which is on the bias. I stitched the side seams and neatened the armholes with self bias binding.

The front neckline facings were cut extra long so that they can be added to the skirt without a seam adding bulk at the centre front waistline seam. I used the last of my stash of fusible interfacing for these facings so must put some onto my shopping list.

As the skirt was already prepared it did not take very long to add to the bodice. I had increased the centre front and centre back skirt panels so gathered the extra at the fronts and centre back before attaching to the bodice. I neatened the seam with overlocking. Now I was able to finish off the facing on the bodice and skirt.

The hem was overlocked and then a double turn before top stitching. I usually make 5 buttonholes in the bodice and 7 in the skirt. This time I got carried away and there are 8 buttonholes in the skirt. The mother of pearl buttons were attached on the machine using the button foot.

Maryon #2

Conclusion: Although the fabric was listed as cotton poplin I did find it to be very lightweight – almost like a cotton lawn. Had I realised at the beginning, I would have preferred to have the bodice lined. The dress has taken 6½ hours to complete and I am very pleased with the end result. I have yet more cotton print fabrics to make up this design but for now will try a new design that includes shirring.

Project #35 completed 24th July 2022