Maryon – another new hack

The Myosotis dress by Deer and Doe has certainly been worth its weight as a base for hacks.

Myosotis dress pattern by Deer and Doe

Using my previous hack of Myosotis/Montana, I have made another hack and this one is called ‘Maryon’.

Drafting the pattern: Starting with the cap sleeve bodice (Marilyn), I redrew the neckline into a V-shape. I extended the length of the bodice by 1 inch so that the waist seam would fall at my natural waist and decided that this particular design would have the bodice lined with a front facing that extended down from the bodice onto a front-buttoning skirt. For the skirt I started with the full circle Penny dress pattern from Sew Over It as a base before cutting in half (to make 4 panels), adding to the seam allowances, adding to the width to allow for front button closure and adding 3 inches to the length.

I made a toile using purple poly/cotton fabric which, once refined, I used as the bodice lining for ‘Maryon’.

Fitting the toile: I found that I needed to add 1 cm to the side seams at the waist, grading back to 0 at the underarm. I also cut away 1 cm from the front V-neckline shaping and also the back neckline. I altered the pattern accordingly and drafted the facings before cutting out the fashion fabric.

For the fabric I used some quilting weight 100% cotton that I bought from my local P&Q store, New Threads based at Weyhill Fairground. The fabric is ‘Sweet Harmony’ in the Blue colourway from American Jane Patterns for moda fabrics ®.

Sweet Harmony by American Jane for moda fabrics

The fabric was on sale and I bought 4 metres. As this is not a one-way design, I had sufficient to add the full circle skirt that I planned. The fabric was laundered and been sitting in my stash since February waiting for just the right project.

Before making up the bodice in the fashion fabric I made up the skirt using French seams and included concealed side seam pockets. The skirt was left to hand to allow any bias to drop. Once the bodice was completed, I then attached it to the skirt and hand tacked the lining to the waist seam. This was machine top-stitched in place.

Buttons and Buttonholes: I had several choices available for the buttons but after consultation with my husband decided on the last card of TRAEKNAPPER wooden buttons that I bought in Alesund when on a Norwegian cruise with my sister. All 12 buttonholes and the buttons were sewn with my Brother 4000D sewing machine.

Norwegian wooden buttons – A great match

The hem was overlocked with 4 threads and then turned under twice before top-stitching in place.


Conclusion: I am very pleased with how this ‘wearable toile’ has turned out. It will certainly be worn over the Summer. As the fabric is quite substantial I feel that I shall also be able to wear it in the Winter as a Pinafore Dress with a fine knit top underneath.

Project #33 completed 14th July 2022