Mayan Border Print Tunic with detached Cowl Collar

This fabric was on sale from the Textile Centre at just £3.49 for a 1.5 metre length remnant plus £2.50 for post and packing to make a grand total of £5.99. I thought that it would ideal to use for a ‘wearable toile’ of a longer length tunic top. The fabric is a heavy polyester/viscose/elastane ponte roma jersey 157 cms wide. I have not used this type of fabric before and was especially pleased that it is so soft and does not feel ‘synthetic’.

For the pattern I used the Style Arc ‘Amy’ top which due to the design constraints of the print was subsequently ‘hacked’ out of all resemblance to the original. First I re-drew the neckline as I had previously found the cowl to be very skimpy. I would make my own design that would be detached so that if necessary I can slip a turtle neck under the tunic. The new neckline would have a band stitched by my usual method. The length of a previous Amy was too short in front and again, to take advantage of the border print, this time I simply cut the hemline straight across where the print had finished. The sleeves, neckband and cowl collar were all made from the plain Navy fabric. The tunic was stitched entirely on the overlocker with the exception of top stitching the band and twin needle hemming of the sleeves and bodice.


Tunic with neck binding                Detachable Cowl Collar

I am very pleased with the final garment which suits now and I will be able to incorporate some back body darts to improve the shaping as I lose weight.