Moira #2

The ‘Moira’ dress is my hack combination of the Montana by Style Arc and ‘Hannah’ from By Hand London. The ‘Moira’ #1 was so successful that I wanted to make another with just a couple refinements to the fit. For this version I made a ½ inch full bust adjustment and trimmed down the side seams of the bodice and sleeves. Once again I used the long skirt with attached deep frill and finished the bodice with two self-ties.

Fabric used was a very colourful Mosaic Floral viscose from Rainbow Fabrics which was reduced to just £2.74 per metre. I used some of my stock Ivory Viscose Voile to line the bodice. To ensure there was no ‘creeping’ of the Ivory colour showing through at the neckline, I added wide ‘facings’ of the printed viscose which were stitched in place to the bodice lining.

Construction was fairly straightforward and I am very pleased with the results of my tweeks!

Order of work: Once stitched, I trimmed the seam allowance of the bodice with pinking shears and pressed them open and flat. The neckline was under stitched and the self-fabric ties were inserted into the side seams. The armscyes and Empire waistlines were stitched together within the seam allowances. Once the sleeves had been inserted, the seam allowances were then neatened with the overlocker.

The front and back skirt panels were each cut 40 ins wide and I used my standard side seam pocket bag pattern. The skirt panels were gathered at the top using a stitch length of 5.00. The hem frills were cut 12 ins deep by 3 x the width of the fabric of 60 ins. Again I used the ruffler foot to pleat up the frill using a stitch length of 4.00 and pleats every 6 stitches.

This dress will be a delight to wear with my Baked Pink Western Jacket or Pink Ponte ‘Jenna’ cardigan.

Project #55 completed 26th September 2020