Hot on the heels of the semi-failure of the Anaconda Antithesis Moira #4 I quickly cut another dress using this pretty Autumnal-coloured floral printed viscose. In August this year, I had bought 3metres for a total cost of £14.97 from ‘lethalsoul’ a seller on eBay.
I thought the print design and colours would make an ideal dress for the Autumn and having been distracted by other makes, I very nearly missed the boat!
‘Moira’ has short sleeves, a scoop neckline, bodice with side bust and under bust darts, no buttons or fastenings, a raised waistline with self-fabric ties set into the side seams of the bodice, gathered skirt with deep hem frill and concealed side seam pockets.
The fact that the predominant floral motif continues through from bodice to skirt is a pure fluke. The bodice is lined with viscose voile that has facings cut from the fashion fabric. This is just in case the lining accidentally flips out. I also ran a line of top-stitching around the neckline ¼ inch away from the edge. I attached a skirt lining of viscose voile to the bodice lining using a French seam
For the fashion fabric skirt I cut two panels 40 ins wide x 21 inches long. The frill was cut 3 x the full width of the fabric x 12 inches deep. Pleating for the frill was completed using my ruffler foot with settings at stitch length 4.00 and pleat every 6 stitches. The seams, including the pockets are French seamed. The sleeve hems and the hem on the frill are double turned and top-stitched in place.
I am especially pleased with how this dress has turned out as the previous make using cotton lawn was such a disappointment.
Project #65 completed 15th November 2020