Pin Tucked Tunic Top Butterick B6024

I have had this tunic top on my eBay watch list for over a year. Having checked the price for this 90%polyester/10% cotton blend and read the reviews which were not particularly good I knew that I would have to make my own. Now finally I have got around to making my version using this pretty quilting cotton print fabric.

I bought a length of about 3 metres several years ago at the Festival of Quilts and have made view B of the pattern Butterick B6024.

I have used this pattern before for both a tunic top and also extended to full length for nightdresses so did not feel that it would be necessary to make a toile. I made just 2 changes to the pattern by shortening the sleeves by 2 inches and the body by 1 inch before cutting out the fabric. In my haste, I forgot that the fabric had not been washed so I hope that there will be problems once the tunic top has been laundered.

Construction was straightforward, the only change that I made was to stitch the bias binding on the neckline in reverse, i.e. stitched to the inside first then turned to the right side and top-stitched in place. The sleeve elastic casing was made ½ inch wide. I used cord elastic cut to a length so that once in place there was no tension and thus no impression left on my forearm should I push the sleeves up beyond my elbow. All seams were overlocked and the narrow hem was overlocked, turned twice and top-stitched in place.

Conclusion: There is some ‘dressing’ in the fabric which means the tunic is not as soft as I would like. I hope that this will improve once laundered. If I make the top again, probably in viscose to improve the drape, I will add back the 1 inch length but leave the sleeves as before.

Project #28 completed 2nd April 2021

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *