In between making yet more dresses, I had an urge to make some more items featuring Bunnies! First, in acknowledgement of the cold winter weather, I made a Hot Water Bottle cover. I used a pre-quilted White polyester Cotton and taking a photograph of a.n.other cover as inspiration, decided to try a different style. For the Bunny applique I first made a piece of Crazy Patchwork using up some scraps of Black & White cotton remnants from a previous project. I cut out the main pattern piece of quilted fabric and then applied the rabbit shape to the the centre of the panel that would form the reverse of the cover. I used straight binding for the top of the front panel before sandwiching the two pattern pieces together and then applying a bias binding all the way around. The shaping of the “tongue” that covers the top of the bottle was rather fiddly. I finished off the cover with a button and buttonhole fastening. The completed cover is rather large and ungainly, as I am not all together happy with the pattern I don’t think I will make another to this design.
The second project was much more successful. A quilted and appliqued cover for a coat hanger.
Quilted Coat hanger Cover
For this project I was inspired by a simple unquilted cover that was demonstrated by Debbie Shore on the Create and Craft TV programme. Using more of the pre-quilted White polyester Cotton plus some of my favourite cotton print I devised a more elaborate cover for a plain wooden hanger. For the front of the cover I first quilted the cotton print in a 1″ square trellis design and then added two applique bunnies, one in White and the other in Black fabric. I lined the appliqued panel then stitched the two pieces of quilted fabric together. I added a border of wide White Broderie Anglaise trim before turning my attention to the reverse of the cover. I added a small pocket in the printed cotton so that items could be stored on the hanger cover – perhaps jewellery, before adding another length of the Broderie Anglaise trim. All fabrics are washable and the cover is easily removed from the hanger. The cover is simple to make but can be embellished to make it really special. I plan to make some more covers using some pre-quilted Broderie Anglaise fabric from my stash. Watch this space….