Simplicity 8910 #2

I liked the first version of this dress so much that I made another version, this time using this fabulous Orchids print on duck egg blue viscose. The fabric is called ‘Hockley F’ and was purchased from ebay seller fabricmarket. I bought 3 metres for a total of £23.97.

Hockley F viscose from ebay seller Fabricmarket

The fabric was laundered and as soon as I had finished 8910 #1, #2 was prepared. There were some minor alterations made to the front bodice pattern as I was unhappy with the way that the small under bust darts were very ‘pointy’. This is not a problem that I had ever encountered before. I reduced the under bust dart and transferred the fullness to a long side bust dart and this seems to have solved the problem.

Lowered neckline x 1 inch

The neckline was lowered by 1 inch (very daring!) and once again I lined the bodice to avoid having to make a bias binding for the edge. This method also helps to stabilise the neckline which could otherwise stretch out a great deal.

The sleeves were lengthened by an inch and set in using French Seams. The skirt panels were also French seamed. The sleeve hems were narrow double folded and machined in place but the 3 inch skirt hem was hand sewn.

It was more by luck than judgement that I have managed to line up the large orchid motif on the bodice front with the centre line of the skirt. A lucky accident!

Simplicity 8910 version 2

Once again I am delighted with the end result. The dress is very comfortable, stylish and does a great job in disguising my ‘lockdown tummy’.

I will make this pattern again but for now I am returning to ‘Montana’ by Style Arc to make version 3 of that pattern.

Project #39 Completed 23rd June 2020

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *