This pattern is now my favourite “go to” design for bag-making! The first version was made using a linen union furnishing fabric and took 6 hours to complete. This version is made using a 100% cotton dressmaking fabric and took just 4 hours to finish. The reduction in time taken is due to three factors; 1- the fabric is a great deal easier to handle, 2 – I did not need to “fussy cut” the design and 3 – I now know a lot more about the method of construction having also discovered a few short cuts to reduce the construction time.
As you can see this fabric has a bold design of Sunflowers on a Dark Blue background. All stitching, including the top-stitching was completed in Pale Yellow thread. I used a plain Yellow cotton for the lining – both fabrics and the two zips came from my stash and so count towards my stash-busting campaign.
I am very pleased with the end result which will co-ordinate well with my denim-based casual outfits and also add an “accent” to plain-coloured dresses.