Back in October 2014 I blogged about the great dresses on the gudrunsjoden website that had inspired me to make something similar. In the last days of 2014 I finally managed to complete the first of what I suspect will be many versions of these dresses. I cut out and embroidered the Navy ponte jersey purchased from Fabricland in Salisbury but the project was then put on the “postponed” pile so that I could concentrate on Christmas items. The completed dress is a success. I embroidered two different motifs, one at the neckline and another on the left sleeve. The designs are from the Brother range, I think Boutique but cannot be sure. I used a dark Purple/Aubergine thread for the embroideries as I plan to wear the dress with a co-ordinating polo neck tee (from Edinburgh Woollen Mill) and opaque tights (from M & S). Sewing notes: All seams are stitched with a small straight stitch on the machine and then overlocked. The neckline facing is cut from a remnant of Black satin. There is no zip in the dress as it is “pullover” style but there are bust and body darts to improve the shaping and fit. The neckline and hems of the sleeves and the dress are topstitched with a wide-set twin needle. I am very pleased with the result and can foresee that the dress will get a lot of wear either with the polo neck tee or with the hand knitted infinity scarf mentioned in a previous blog.
neckline embroidery sleeve embroidery