This block was one suggested at Sprat & Winkle as a possible design for making the 24” square quilts for the Special Baby Care Unit at Winchester Hospital. Cutting and stitching this block made me swoon! It was definitely a challenge.
At the club meeting I soon discovered that as one of my chosen fabrics had a one-way design it was going to be a “random direction” swoon! I had already cut the pieces from two fat quarters in the main prints which left only the background to be cut. A problem – I could not fathom how I would be able to get the required pieces from my remaining fat quarter of fabric. So for a couple of weeks the project was put to one side – not quite in the “Roundtuit” box but very nearly!
This weekend I determined to clear some of the backlog of unfinished projects and this block was near the top of the pile. I decided to use an alternative fabric for the background and set about cutting the pieces. The construction of the block went together very quickly and for the most part the seams match! I decided that the centre square looked a bit boring and as I happened to have a small square of the “dummy” print left over have added that as an applique set “en point”. Now I have to complete the quilt with wadding, backing and quilting which I hope to get done tomorrow. Watch this space…..