Teddy Print Pinafore Dress

new look 6261

In anticipation of tutoring a workshop tomorrow using the New Look pattern to make a toile, I thought it would be a good idea to wear a version of a shift dress.

prima shift

I used my TNT version of the Prima magazine “Go Anywhere Shift Dress” as my preferred version of a basic shift dress. This is only because I have already fine-tuned the fit for this one whereas to date I have not got around to making a toile of the New Look pattern. That is one of those projects that just keeps getting put to the back of the queue.

I knew that I had limited time to make the pinafore dress so just pulled a length of polyester blend gabardine twill fabric from my stash. It happened to be this charming print of multiple teddy bears. I remember making a child’s dress from the original yardage – many years ago as that child is now in her third year at University!

So does using this fabric from my stash count as credit against my purchase of fabric to make the Butterick B6143 coat?

To ensure that the pinafore dress would fit over a lightweight polo neck sweater I added ¼ inch to each side seam, dropped the armscye slightly and re-drafted the neckline into a more generous scoop at the same time maintaining the width of the shoulders. Prompted by the fact that the Corduroy Dungaree dress tends to “grab” at my underwear, I made this dress fully lined with anti-static lining from New Threads Quilt Shop. There is a centre back “lapped” insertion zip and a short hem vent in the centre back seam.


The dress fits well and is easy to put on and pull off due to the great lining. I can foresee that I will get a lot of wear from this simple garment as it will go with many different tops and opaque coloured tights. The style will also work well made up in cottons and linens as a Summer dress- roll on warmer weather!