I have in my stash an old pattern from Prima magazine for a shift dress.
I have made this up several times and with each make I adapt the pattern in some way. I have changed the sleeves from cap to short or 3/4 length, short puffed or long into a button cuff, changed the neckline from shallow scoop to scoop or scalloped and also changed the hemline from straight to frilled, double frilled, scalloped and bias frilled. I have used a variety of fabrics from plain cottons, mix and match prints, embroidered linens, taffeta & lace overlay, stretch cotton blends and jerseys. My next make will be using a Leopard-print jersey fabric from Fabricland in Basingstoke. I will add a bias hem frill and 3/4 length narrow sleeves. With a bit of luck and a following wind I will have the dress completed and be able to wear with Black tights and shoes to the preview of my friend’s Art Exhibition on Saturday!