On a recent visit to my sister who lives in North Wales we had a day out at Abakhan based at Mostyn on the North Wales coast.
We enjoyed a thorough rummage through their fabrics that are cut lengths and priced according to weight. Several lengths of fabric were purchased – no change there!
On returning home we browsed through some patterns that I had picked up from the swaps table during my trip to SEW SOUTHAMPTON organised by the lovely Sian of Kittenish Behaviour.
One of the patterns was McCalls M6205. There was no envelope but the pattern and instructions were complete and I therefore downloaded a copy of the picture so that we could see what the finished garment should look like. The pattern came in sizes 16 – 22 and would be suitable for both my sister and me. According to the body measurements, Catherine would need the smallest size and I would need the largest (sigh!).
A quick check of jersey fabrics in my stash revealed a 3 metre length of bold print Korean polyester jersey that I bought from The Textile Centre in June this year for £2.49/metre.
First I cut out the tunic top with ¾ sleeves in my size and then again in the smaller size for Catherine. Unfortunately I did not have sufficient for the long/wide cowl collar/scarf but hope to make this another time.
I made up my version which I am pleased with – especially the centring of the print on the neckband. However, next time I will lengthen the front and shorten the back as I have never been a particular fan of the high/low hem style.
Catherine’s version was also constructed very quickly and again I managed to centre up the print on the neckband. As is usual with the big four commercial patterns, in addition to the ‘design’ ease there is plenty of ‘fitting’ ease in the pattern. So….. I tried on Catherine’s top. It fits! Next time I will make both tunic tops in the same size!
I popped Catherine’s tunic into the post and she received it the following day. I have one very pleased sister although she tells me that she would prefer a little less width at the hem. For the next iteration I will slim down her version (she has very narrow hips) from under the armhole to the hem.