Monthly Archives: July 2014

A Learning Experience

Before cutting into the Hunstanton cotton fabric I decided to run up a trial garment using some Pale Pink floral-1/8″ gingham that has been “lurking” in the loft for a few years! I first drafted the bodice with five 1/2″ tucks either side of a centre front faux button band and also re-shaped the neckline so that it had more of a scoop and would be suitable for a narrow bias binding finish. (I love narrow gingham bias binding!) Having laid out the pattern pieces I discovered that there was insufficient fabric for the different sleeves I had planned so it was back to the basic lined cap sleeve as previously used. I adjusted the sleeve pattern slightly to reduce the width at the hem whilst retaining the shaping for the sleeve head. As the fabric was 100% cotton it was easy to press in the tucks although I noticed later that the set on the right side are rather irregular whilst those on the left side are perfect! I lined the sleeves with a fine White cotton lawn which I also used for the pocket facings. The dress went together fairly easily, but at first fitting I started to have my doubts about the colour and print of the fabric. Having completed the dress I have the following conclusions: I really don’t need a zip at the centre back when the neckline is scooped, it can simply be put on “pullover” style. The light-coloured fabric and “dainty” print is not suitable for use as a day dress. I prefer a box-pleated skirt to gathers. I deep hem of at least 2″ helps to “weight” the skirt. I need to try a different sleeve for a change. Taking the above into consideration I am now ready to make the Hunstanton dress which I would like to have ready to wear to meet a friend for lunch next week.

learning experience front 2         learning experience back view

                  Full length Front view          Full length Back view

learning experience bodice

Bodice detail

Flamboyant Flamingoes

The Birthday Dress – I may no longer be in the prime of youth and my figure may be more rubenesque than I would like but that does not mean that I can’t enjoy a frivolous print dress! Based on the bodice of the Prima shift, this is version 48 with a box pleated skirt and centre back zip that I know that I will enjoy wearing. Once again I have piped the neckline and self-lined cap sleeves with a light green cotton just to add a finishing touch. This time I managed to cut two side seam pockets by using an odd scrap of plain cotton for the pocket facings.

front view

Next on the sewing timetable is another version of this style dress using the charming Blue background floral print cotton that I bought in Hunstanton. I plan to make pin tucks in the front bodice, gather the skirt and make tulip sleeves. Wish me luck!

hunstanton floral

Hunstanton Floral Print Cotton