Using a doll pattern by Button Angel as the starting point I have made a rag doll which I christened Polly Patchwork. As a new method for me her arms and legs are only stuffed as far as the elbow/knee joint before attaching to the body. I have added a bosom made from two lightly stuffed circles which gives Polly a more “mature” figure. Polly’s face is drawn with coloured pencils and her rosy cheeks are from a light brush with my blusher. Her hair is made by wrapping pencils with garden twine, spraying liberally with starch and then leaving overnight to dry. At present her hair is a bit thin so I plan to do some more wrapping over the weekend to add fullness to her coiffure. Polly wears bloomers and a button “vest” and will also have a flannel petticoat which is currently under construction. I have made Polly’s legs a little shorter than the pattern which means that they are hidden beneath her dress. To rectify this I plan to make some decorative tucks around the hem of the skirt above the patchwork border. I had a problem making buttonholes at the back bodice so had to resort to narrow velcro fastening. The neckline of the dress is drawn up with a gathering thread and the collar simply sits above and fastens at the back with a tiny safety pin (to be replaced with a button or popper). To complete her outfit, there will be a patchwork jacket made from 90 x 2″ patches, a hat, a pair of shoes/boots and she will also carry a bag.
Monthly Archives: September 2014
Dolly the Dachsund – pin dog
Inspired by the pin dog as featured on The Great British Sewing Bee series II, I was delighted to find a pattern through SEW magazine. I downloaded the templates some time ago and have only now got around to making up the Dachsund. I used some scraps of Pink needlecord left over from a Trouser Suit project and lined the ears with Pink satin also left over from a Boned Bodice Workshop that I tutored several years ago. The eyes are Blue heart-shaped buttons and the nose is hand worked using a double thread in Black. This was a really quick sew, what took the most time was the stuffing with polyester fibre filling. Dolly measures approximately 12″ from the tip of hernose to tip of her tail. I have yet to make the “coat” for Dolly and apply a collar and tag but for now she sits in pride of place next to my sewing machine.
Autumn Twister Table Topper
Inspired by Jenny of Missouri Star Quilt Company I purchased the Twister template. Having downloaded the layout plan for a Wreath I adapted the colourway to take advantage of some Autumn-coloured fat quarters of cotton fabric that I had in my stash. Here is the completed project. A table topper measuring approximately 27″ (69 cms) square. I am delighted with the result and will no doubt make a larger piece of “random” twister lap quilt later in the year.