Monthly Archives: May 2016

Good weather = gardening!

I notice that it is sometime since I last posted on my blog. What can I say? I have been busy. With all the lovely Spring weather we have been enjoying I have been out and about, mostly gardening but also I have done just a little sewing.

On 30th April I tutored the workshop for a Kimono-style jacket using Simplicity 1318.


I had just one student, Sue, who received one-to-one tuition. We had a most enjoyable day and by the end there was an almost completed jacket made from some lovely batik printed cotton.


1st May saw me in my sewing room where I used some old pieces of ironing board covers to make a new ironing pad. I used two rectangles of the best parts of the covers which I stitched together. I then applied a fat quarter of 100% cotton print to one side and overlocked the entire outside edge. This pad is quite substantial and plenty thick enough to place on a work bench at the sewing workshops. To add to the ironing/pressing “accessories”, I made a new tailors’ ham. I downloaded the pattern from the internet using plain White 100% cotton (from an old sheet) and polyester toy filling. I have printed out the instructions and pattern so that I can pass on to students should they want to make their own. A tailors’ ham is so useful, especially in dressmaking and tailoring when pressing small and/or curved/shaped fabric. I would not be without mine.