A Learning Experience

Before cutting into the Hunstanton cotton fabric I decided to run up a trial garment using some Pale Pink floral-1/8″ gingham that has been “lurking” in the loft for a few years! I first drafted the bodice with five 1/2″ tucks either side of a centre front faux button band and also re-shaped the neckline so that it had more of a scoop and would be suitable for a narrow bias binding finish. (I love narrow gingham bias binding!) Having laid out the pattern pieces I discovered that there was insufficient fabric for the different sleeves I had planned so it was back to the basic lined cap sleeve as previously used. I adjusted the sleeve pattern slightly to reduce the width at the hem whilst retaining the shaping for the sleeve head. As the fabric was 100% cotton it was easy to press in the tucks although I noticed later that the set on the right side are rather irregular whilst those on the left side are perfect! I lined the sleeves with a fine White cotton lawn which I also used for the pocket facings. The dress went together fairly easily, but at first fitting I started to have my doubts about the colour and print of the fabric. Having completed the dress I have the following conclusions: I really don’t need a zip at the centre back when the neckline is scooped, it can simply be put on “pullover” style. The light-coloured fabric and “dainty” print is not suitable for use as a day dress. I prefer a box-pleated skirt to gathers. I deep hem of at least 2″ helps to “weight” the skirt. I need to try a different sleeve for a change. Taking the above into consideration I am now ready to make the Hunstanton dress which I would like to have ready to wear to meet a friend for lunch next week.

learning experience front 2         learning experience back view

                  Full length Front view          Full length Back view

learning experience bodice

Bodice detail