An experiment – New Look 6298

With a New Year I decided that as a change to the usual Prima pattern, I would make up New Look 6298 with some bold Red Ponte Roma Jersey purchased from Fabricland in Salisbury. After making some sizing adjustments to the pattern I followed the instructions almost to the letter! If I had read other reviews of this pattern I would not have enlarged at the side seams quite so much as the dress is particularly roomy. I made view D but adapted the hem band so that there would be no hint of a gather at the joining seam. The scoop neckline works out to be lower than I had anticipated (or perhaps it was the weight of the dress that dragged it down) and I was unhappy with the method of binding. If I make the dress again I shall certainly change the “method” for finishing the neckline. The raglan sleeves  with shoulder dart worked well with the dart finishing exactly at my shoulder point. I made the large patch pockets and again, if repeating this pattern, I would either make the pockets smaller or omit completely.  There is no shaping in the form of darts or shaped side seams and I think for me this was probably a mistake. I finished the hems on the sleeves and the hem band with my favourite wide-spaced twin-needle stitching which worked extremely well. I may well make this pattern again, even though the pattern is designed and drafted for a knit I may use a woven rather than a knit fabric.

RED 01