Audrey #2

The Audrey top by Sew Over It has been in my pattern stash for a long time. I first made a version with long sleeves and a bow neckline using some modal from Stitchy Bee but unfortunately it was not a 100% success.

Having watched the sew-a-long posted by Andrea of Beyond the Pink Door and seen several great versions on Instagram I decided it was time to revisit this pattern.

The Audrey Top is a vintage-inspired knit top straight out of Midge Maisel’s wardrobe! A t-shirt with a difference, Audrey’s ready to give any outfit a touch of elegance. The flattering wide neckline shows off its deep neckband, which comes complete with three options. A standard flat neckband, add a cute little tie, or go big with a showstopping bow. Depending on the season, you can choose from short, 3/4 or full length sleeves.

Designed to be sewn in light to medium weight knits, Audrey looks beautiful in cable knits and Ponte Romas for cooler weather, but sews up equally well in cotton jerseys for when the sun comes out.

The Audrey Top is an advanced beginner level sewing pattern, ideal for those who have sewn a few garments before. It’s a great pattern for those new to sewing knits.

For this version I used some textured Ponte Roma that I purchased over a year ago from Minerva. I don’t know what I was thinking but there are yards and yards of this fabric, even after making a Jenna cardigan at the Sewcial Retreat in March 2020.

The previous Audrey was made in size 24 and was way too big! This time I cut the 22 view 2 with the knot neckband and took the full 1.5 cms seam allowance. For stitching I used a narrow zig-zag set at 1.0mm width x 2.5mm length. Using Andrea’s guidance I made the alterations to the neckband by changing the angle of the shoulder seams, this did help enormously in getting the band to lie flat.

All was going swimmingly well until I got to the stage of attaching the neckband to the bodice. First I tacked with the knot on the wrong side i.e. right hand side when I wanted it on the left! Next attempt I attached the back neckband to the front bodice! Finally, at the third attempt I managed to get it right! I pressed then overlocked the seam before again pressing the ‘bejesus’ out of the thing. By now I was thoroughly disheartened so rather than setup for twin-needle top stitching I finished off with narrow zig-zag top stitching at the neckline plus hems on the sleeves and body . More pressing and now it is done.

Conclusions: I can foresee many versions that I would like to make, but first I really need more practice to get the fit – and that darned neckband exactly right. I will make another for me before tackling the Audrey in the same textured Ponte Roma that I have promised to my sister.

Project #32 completed 15th April 2021