Blofield Paisley Shirtdress

Having completed the Lisette top using fabric from the stash I could now use the new Blofield Paisley printed cotton purchased from Fabricland. I hacked the blouse from Style 1441 by extending the length to make a dress and shaped the hemline as per the Merchant & Mills Dress Shirt pattern. I also decided to have 3/4 length sleeves into a buttoned cuff. From the photo on the website although the fabric  was called “Grey” it looked as though  it had a Blue background but once received I saw that it was indeed a Gun Metal Blue/Grey so the first job was to re-thread the overlocker and sewing machine with the appropriate thread. I enjoyed making the dress which has all seams double top-stitched plus the added extra of epaulettes on the shoulders – a favourite “add-on” of mine. At fitting stage I discovered that the dress was just too roomy. I increased the seam allowance on the side seams and added shaping for the waistline which improved the silhouette. Although I enjoyed making the dress with all the different processes involved, in the final analysis I am not sure if I actually like the finished article. I could wear the dress as it is, add a belt or wear open as a lightweight coat. I will leave it hanging in the wardrobe for a while and see if my feelings change – if they don’t then I shall list the dress for sale on eBay.  Next step – stash busting again.


                      dress 0 fab   dress 1  dress 3 collar

One thought on “Blofield Paisley Shirtdress

Comments are closed.