Breton-style top #7

Oh no! Not another Breton-style top I hear you say. Well there is just about enough fabric left for one or two more before I call it a day on Bretons.

This year I have been ‘on a mission’ to make several Breton-style tops for my sister and me which, hopefully, we will be able to wear on our next cruise holiday. I started this quest with several lengths of Ponte Roma but now having made 6 different tops am left with pretty much a mis-match of remnants from the various stripes and prints. Hence #7 will be a ‘mash-up’ of those remnants.

The alterations to the Fraser pattern by Sewaholics were similar to those before; extended body length and no hem band. Due to lack of fabric in the Red stripe colourway, the sleeves were shortened. Again the neckline front is deepened by 1 ½ inches and widened by ½ inch at each side neck point. When I laid out the White background floral print fabric I found that I did not have a sufficiently large enough piece to cut the front yoke all in one, hence there is a centre seam. The back yoke was cut from the Navy background floral print. This time around the construction was made a lot easier with the gentle curve of the front yoke.

The neckband was cut from the White background floral and I think that there is just enough left for one more neckband in this colourway.

All seams were sewn with the overlocker, the yokes and neckband were top stitched on the machine. The single turned hem on the sleeves and body were overlocked prior to twin needle stitching in place. I took care to ensure that the Red stripe sat on the edge of the hem and stitched with White thread on the White stripe with the twin needle.

So, that’s another Breton-style top completed. There is probably enough of the Navy/White stripe remaining to make one more top and then I shall be moving on to other projects.

Project #15 completed 25th February 2021