Oh yes! As promised here is the sixth version of this fantastic pattern. This one was made using the second quilted bedspread purchased from Amazon in a size 12 for my sister.
Although we now have the same print jacket there are some slight differences (in addition to the fact that Catherine’s is a lot smaller). I used fabric from my stash to make the binding and the patch pockets are bound in the same fabric as the outer.
I had prepared part of the jacket prior to the Sprat & Winkle Quilters sewing day held at the Weyhill Fairground hall and was able to complete the construction by lunchtime! The second part of the day was spent on the patchwork block set by Lizzie plus some lovely chat with the other ladies at the Sewing Day.
I know that I will be making yet another of these jackets so will by then have made a MAGNIFICENT SEVEN!
Having previously made 4 versions of the Tamarack jacket I felt confident in making yet another for myself to be followed by a matching one for my sister.
I chose a couple of single-size quilted bedspreads from Amazon which provide fast and easy access to pre-quilted fabric for these projects.
Once I had cut out the main pieces, I unpicked the binding from the rest of quilt to use on the jacket.
The outer pockets, sleeve hems, neckline and all the internal seams are finished with the the binding which makes for a very coordinated look. I even made an additional internal pocket to store my mobile phone or even to wear the jacket inside out. Fan-tas-tic!
I am now in the process of making another jacket for my sister’s birthday and using a second quilt so that we can be matchy, matchy!
Back in March of 2022 I was seduced by the print on this polyester suiting fabric from Minerva and ordered sufficient to make a Sorrento jacket by Sew Over It. At the same time I ordered some spot printed satin to make a lining as per the instructions by Sian of Kittenish Behaviour. Total cost inclusive of post and packing was around £25.
I have made two versions of the Sorrento before so am familiar with the construction and have refined the fit to suit me best. Alterations to the pattern based on findings of the toile version were to reduce the length of bodice by 1 inch and reduce length of sleeves by 1½ inches. I think that maybe I shall add ½ inch back to the length of the sleeves but otherwise the fit based on a 20 at shoulders grading back to a 22 at the waistband is fine.
Once I had cut out the pattern pieces from the Oriental print polyester suiting I found that it was rather lightweight. I interlined each piece with some lightweight fusible interfacing bought from Maggie Stewart on eBay. I also fused interfacing to the satin lining fabric of the undercollar, pocket bags, pocket flaps and bias continuous strips for the sleeve plackets. Both fabrics were inclined to fray so the outer was double top stitched on all seams and the satin lining seam allowances were trimmed with pinking shears.
As the print is so busy I completed the top stitching using the standard weight Black thread, stitch length 3.0mm. There are over 100 steps to constructing this jacket not including the additional steps involved for the lining. Although I prepared the button tabs ready for attaching to the hem band, I have not added them as I feel that there is already quite enough pattern! I used more of the Black buttons from my bulk purchase – they are working out to be a really good buy!
I last made a lined Sorrento jacket at the Sewcial Retreat run by Purple Stitches in March 2022. I may be starting a tradition of making a Sorrento in March each year. This pattern is particularly well drafted. All the notches line up and using a 1cm seam allowance means that the pattern goes together really well.
It has taken roughly 8 hours to complete the jacket – so I am getting quicker at making this great garment. It has been a joy to sew this latest version and I look forward to really standing out in the crowd when I wear this BOLD jacket!