This dress is the second of the samples to promote the workshop planned for November at New Threads Quilt Shop.
Nearly 14 years ago I gained a great deal of experience in making dresses for little girls as I made several for the daughter of a friend, from the time that Lucy was born until she was aged around 8 or 9 years old. This Christmas dress hack is very similar to those I made back in the early 2000’s.
Using the smallest size pattern firstly I re-shaped the neckline to a gentle scoop and then added sufficient to the centre back to allow for a buttons and buttonholes (or velcro) fastening. To avoid any raw edges of the seam allowances on the bodice I decided to line with a plain calico cotton.
n.b. Centred design on bodice front
To make the dress with a fully lined bodice is a very simple procedure.
Order of Construction:-
- Stitch the shoulder seams of the bodice front to the 2 bodice backs. Repeat for the bodice lining.
- Place lining right sides together with bodice, matching notches.
- Pin and then machine stitch around the armholes. Pin and machine from the waistline edge, up the back, around the neckline, and down the other side of the back.
- Press well and then pull the back bodice pieces through the shoulders to turn right side out.
- Understitch as far as possible around all the edges.
- Stitch the side seams of the skirt panels and gather the top edge.
- Pin and stitch the top of the skirt to the bottom of the bodice, ensure that you keep the bodice lining free.
- Fold up the bodice lining to the inside, matching the fold to the stitching line of the skirt.
- Hand stitch the bodice lining to the previous row of stitching so that now all the raw edges of the bodice are covered.
- Work buttonholes and attach buttons at the back bodice BEFORE stitching the centre back seam of the skirt, leaving approximately 3-4 inches below the waistline unstitched.
I used a French seam when joining the skirt panels together and machined a narrow double-folded hem.
For the back fastening I made 5 buttonholes and used 5 different Christmas-themed buttons to complete.