In the previous post I mentioned that I bought the Blush-coloured Cloque jersey with a view to making a tie-front shrug cardigan.
This cloque fabric is quite substantial and even though it does not have much stretch I felt it would be suitable for this pattern.
I have several of this type of shrug made from lightweight jersey and purchased from eBay. They are OK but I would prefer something longer in the body and from a better quality fabric.
I had previously made the Elmira wrap tie cardigan from Seamworks in a Cotton Jersey which sadly did not suit and was donated to a charity shop. However, I noticed that Seamworks were offering a hack for a tie front shrug so thought I would give it a try.
I cut out the XL size with the ¾ length sleeves which took 1¼ yards of fabric (60 inches wide) and using my sewing machine constructed the top very quickly.
Conclusion: The sleeves are a little tight around the bicep, there is not much coverage by the front bodice pieces and the ties are very large and ‘clunky’. I therefore count the garment as a ‘FAIL’ and have donated to the local charity shop.
I think the best course of action for me would be to draft my own tie front shrug using my TNT bodice pattern and use a less substantial jersey fabric. Watch this space for the next incarnation.