I’m frilled – something different!

In a recent order with Rainbow Fabrics of Kilburn I included some 3 metres of Rainbow Ruffle for a total of £8.22. I have often seen tops in this type of fabric and thought that just for a change from the Breton-style tops I would give it a go!

I already had the Paola by Named Clothing pattern printed and sized for my sister so decided to ‘hack’ this into a scoop neck, short sleeved top. How hard could it be?

It turned out not to be particularly difficult at all. Drafting the alterations to the pattern were straightforward and cutting out was also relatively easy. I had to make sure that all the frills were laying in the correct direction and none were caught up when cutting out. I knew that there would be no requirement for hems on the body or sleeves but would need to have a think about the neckline.

I stabilised the shoulder seams with stay tape before checking my jersey remnants to find something suitable for a neckband. I found plenty of this Blush Pink that was purchased from Stitchy Bee back in 2019. I cut a strip 2 inches wide by my calculated length of the neckline (x 85% + seam allowance) and applied to the staystitched neckline. It seems to have worked well. Next time, I think it would be even better if made a little more narrow.

The sleeves were set in and the side/sleeve seams stitched all in pass. In no time at all the top was completed. In order to control the frills, all seams were machine basted prior to overlocking.

I am pleased with the final result and hope that my sister will also enjoy this ‘different’ top which has taken just over 1 metre to make. I know that I have some more of this type of fabric in Black somewhere in my stash and I think it would make an ideal ‘cocktail’ top or shift dress, next time the overlocker is threaded with Black I shall hook it out.

Project # 16 completed 26th February 2021