Lapped Collar Knit Top – Butterick B6388 Hack

I bought this pattern for a lapped collar top or dress, waterfall waistcoat and elasticated waist trousers back in March at the Sewing for Pleasure Show, NEC Birmingham. Since then it has been tucked into the pile of sewing patterns and had been temporarily forgotten. Then Sian of Kittenish Behaviour mentioned it in her vlog and I made a search for my copy. I had a length (the last off the bolt) of Winter-weight jersey that I bought from Franklins in Salisbury and thought this would be ideal for use as a wearable toile.

Having prepared the pattern and fabric I then discovered that I had too little fabric to make the top (view C). A little bit of ‘hacking’ was required. Out came my collarless version of the Paola top with the shaped hemline, which I traced onto fresh paper. I overlaid the pattern pieces from Butterick B6388 and a new version was born. I had to seam the collar piece rather than lay on the fold and also add cuffs to the sleeves as they were cut short. However, I have managed to get this top out of the 1.3metres of fabric that cost a grand total of £4.50 (I had received a 10% discount).

Construction was simple and straight forward. The top took just over 1½ hours to stitch and that takes into account the fact that this was a first time using the pattern. The only criticism I have to make is that the collar is a little baggy at the back – unless I pull the top forward and down at the front so that the collar then hugs the back of my neck. This may be due to the centre back seam in the collar or the stretch in my fabric. I am sure that I can resolve the issue next time. I do plan to make this style of collar again but think I will transfer the design to the neckline of New Look K6412 version A that has the asymmetrical hemline.