Lavender Linen-Look Shift Dress – Simplicity 2120

simplicity 2120

Having recently completed 2 time-consuming projects I decided to make a simple shift dress using a pattern that had been loaned to me by a friend. The fabric came from my stash and is a polyester based linen-look in a lovely shade of Dark Lavender. The overlocker was still threaded up with Dark Grey fabric so I just needed to re-thread the sewing machine with a co-ordinating colour for the Dark Lavender fabric. I could not find quite the right shade so have used a dark navy which I hope will blend sufficiently well not to be too obtrusive.

The pattern is sized up to an 18 and I therefore added to the centre front, centre back and side seams. I hoped this would be sufficient an increase to accommodate my rubenesque figure. In the end I eliminated the extra width at centre front and also skimmed off some of the extra on the side seams.

This pattern was a dream to sew and went together really easily. Being such a basic shape I can foresee that it will lend itself to many variations. I have now ordered my own personal copy of the pattern.

Notes for the next incarnation of this pattern – if using a heavy fabric (such as linen, linen-look, needlecord) use a fine cotton bias binding for the neckline and armholes, a contrast colour/print could be a good idea. The basic shape will lend itself to being cut for colour/print – blocking, reduce the length and make as either a tunic or even shorter, a top, check out a way of adding a longer sleeve for cooler weather wear.

So that’s my stash busting project done, next on the list (yes I have a list which instead of getting shorter, gets longer as even more ideas flood my brain!) is a pretty Blue floral cotton print to be made into a blouse.

             101_5859 101_5860

dress – full length                                                          sleeve detail