Merchant & Mills Dress Shirt

dress_shirt_tissue    Merchant-Mills-The-Dress-Shirt

The Merchant & Mills Dress Shirt design kept popping up on various blogs and Pinterest boards and so I decided to try it. The pattern has been sitting in the pile for a little while. On opening the pattern envelope I was impressed with the quality of the pattern tissue and also the step by step instructions. Before I cut into the lovely linen look fabric bought from Fabricland I decided to run up a test garment using a length of White crinkle Broderie Anglaise cotton fabric. This fabric has been sitting in the stash for at least five years so once it had been laundered it was time that it was stitched up!

I graded the pattern from an 18 to a 22 and cut out the short sleeve version. By following the instructions this dress was made up in a few hours and I am delighted with the result. The length is just right and the Bib front will lend itself to a variety of different finishes, tucks, embroideries etc. The only negative that I found was a little bit of gaposis around the neckline but this I think is due to my square shoulders so next time I shall change the angle of the shoulder seam and I am sure it will be perfect. I look forward to a glorious Summer so that I can wear this dress!

no 1    no 2

As soon as I have completed the crepe blouse with lace overlay collar and the Cerise Liquorise Allsorts Walkaway dress, I cannot wait to stitch another Merchant & Mills dress shirt in linen look cotton.