New Soft Furnishings

Whilst my husband was away on Retreat I knew that I would enjoy a “SewFest”. I had many plans for dressmaking, quilt making and soft furnishing.

The “Summer Jellies” quilt started at the Rookwood Day was completed within the week.

Next on the “to do” list was a set of curtains and cushions for R’s study followed by a refurbishment of the main bedroom. I am not a fan of curtain-making so decided to purchase ready made curtains for both rooms. A visit to Dunelm Mill (my 1st of what was eventually 4 trips!!) I chose a natural fibre curtain with eyelet heading and printed with various leaves for the study. Unfortunately (or fortunately as it turned out) I bought a set that were much too long. I cut off the excess and re-hemmed the curtains to the correct length which left me with two pieces of fabric 18” wide x 66” long. I made the pieces up into two cushions for the Lloyd Loom chair which now gives the room a co-ordinated look.


On to the bedroom. I chose a set of Thermal Black Out lined curtains with standard tape heading in a textured Duck Egg Blue. This went well with the existing colour scheme of the room and also the bedding which I had purchased a few months ago. But I needed a Pelmet. I purchased some furnishing weight fabric from Dunelm Mill that has the same print as the bedding but on a smaller scale. I made a flat pelmet which I lined with Calico and used a 3” heading tape. The completed pelmet was attached to the pelmet curtain track and along with a set of co-ordinating tie-back, I think finishes off the window dressing beautifully.


Over our twin beds, we have a Half Coronet fixture. This needed to be re-covered. Again using the same fabric as the curtain pelmet I made a new cover, a flat skirt with a simple inverted pleat at the centre front. The background to the headboards has a set of printed voile curtains which again co-ordinate with the bedding.


Finished – a fresh new co-ordinated scheme in our favourite colour scheme of Duck Egg Blue.