‘Newlyn’ Blouse #1

This blouse is based on the NEW LOOK 6731 but style details of the collar and back ties have been hacked onto my basic TNT bodice block. I also added my current favourite short sleeve pattern that has a gathered sleeve head and a wide hem facing.

For this first version I used some fine cotton lawn that was purchased in September 2019 from the C&H Fabrics remnant table. The colours and print fall very nicely into my current ‘Autumn Gold’ collection with the added bonus of some Gold glittery highlights!

Cutting out took all of the 1.5metres x 142 cms wide fabric. I added shirt tail shaping to the hem and made the blouse long enough in the body to wear over the top of trousers as well as under the recently completed ‘Jayne’ pinafore dress.

Construction was straightforward and I used French seams throughout. Once again I waited until after the side seams were sewn before measuring the fish eye darts in the back bodice and incorporating the narrow ties. The hem on the front facing was overlocked and then turned under before stitching. The sleeve hem facing was top-stitched in place and provides a little more structure to the sleeve hems. The hem of the blouse was also overlocked before a narrow double turned hem was top-stitched in place. The buttonholes were worked with the Golden Brown thread and the seven buttons in Dark Brown from my stash were stitched in place with Dark Brown thread.

Conclusion: I just love this fabric and the blouse has turned out beautifully. Definitely a design that I will be repeating!

Project #70 completed 23rd October 2021