Palm Leaves Print Skirt – Jenna #3

I love the two Jenna skirts from that I have made. The first was a Cotton printed with lemons, the second a woven viscose floral print on a Mustard background.

According to Seamwork magazine, separates can add great variety to any wardrobe, and a simple gathered skirt like Jenna effortlessly marries cute style and comfortable fit. Jenna’s elastic-back waistband and in-seam pockets make this skirt as practical as it is stylish.

I also love this particular printed viscose from Rainbow Fabrics of Kilburn, so I thought it would be a great match of pattern & fabric. This Khaki Palm Leaves print is just right for my Autumn/Winter wardrobe.

The post Moira #6 is all about the dress that I made using this fabric. Unfortunately there was a fault in the printing which meant that if I wanted to cut a skirt from the length I would have to be prepared to have some of the faulty printing included. I placed the pattern pieces so that the fault is at the top part of the back skirt panels. It is behind me so I can’t see it!

The colours within the print mean that it coordinates well with Khaki Green, Black, even Mustard and Gold.

This time I cut out the size 22 waistband but kept to the 24 for the skirt panels. The viscose fabric is very fluid so can take a lot of gathers. Again I added 6 inches to the length as I plan to wear the skirt with tights, shoes and boots.

All seams were overlocked and a narrow hem double folded before machine stitching in place. I added my TNT pattern for concealed side seam pockets and double fusible interfacing to the front section of the waistband. I reduced the length of the elastic for the back waistband casing. The elastic insertion was a little fiddly but it does give a comfortable and stylish finish to the skirt.

I have approximately 1.5 metres of the faulty printed fabric remaining and will have to think what to do with it. Meantime, the lovely people at Rainbow Fabrics have issued a credit voucher which I have used to buy yet more lovely printed Viscose.

project #68 completed 1st December 2020