In my teens, twenties and early thirties I always had a White-based cotton shirtdress for wearing in the Summer. Of late those dresses have all gone and with so much of this charming fabric available to me I wanted to revive the practice of a White-based Summer shirtdress in my wardrobe.
Without a doubt, the Penny dress by Sew Over It is one of my TNT dresses. Whenever I feel in need of an easy make/palate cleanser, I turn to the Penny or my hack of it. I last made a Penny at the end of May (Lemons Ten-a-Penny) and having recently spent time on the new and somewhat more technically testing Siena, I decided to have an easier time with the Penny.
Originally I had over 10 metres by 150cms wide of the Lily of the Valley printed cotton inherited from my friend who passed away in 2010. Even after making the Siena and cutting out Penny, there is still some 5 metres left. I am not sure what else I will make with the fabric but there will definitely be a blouse – maybe a Libby by Sew Over It or my own Blouse hack – with frills!
There is not much to say about my Penny dress. I cut a standard size 20. I always double the fabric for the yoke, ignore the back neck facing, cut the skirt in 3 or 4 panels, stitch using French seams, put concealed pockets in the side seams and finish the armholes with narrow bias binding.
Again, this time the button band was narrow and as I can easily put the dress on over my head I decided to forego buttonholes and stitched the buttons in place through all thicknesses. I used more of the 4-hole green buttons, the same as was used on the Siena dress. I cannot remember where the buttons came from but there are still sufficient left to put on a blouse. The narrow hem was first overlocked and then turned up by ¼ inch before machining in place.
After a few hours here is another Penny hot off the sewing machine.
Project #45 of 2020, completed 31st July.