Shelby/Charlotte hack #3

Recently I visited my favourite local sewing supplies store, New Threads Quilt Shop which is located at the Weyhill Fairground about 2 miles from my home. Meg had some beautiful fabrics on sale and I indulged in 4 metres of this charming and unusual cotton print.

The fabric produced by moda © is called Manderley by Frannie and Jane #47502.

I had noticed that this was a one-way design so was unsure if 4 metres would be sufficient to make up the Charlotte (Shelby hack) which is my current favourite dress pattern. Also I have only used viscose for the previous incarnations so this lightweight cotton would be an experiment.

After the fabric had been laundered I laid out the pattern pieces and was delighted to discover that provided I did not worry over pattern matching across the Princess-seamed panels I had just enough.

This time I rounded the corners of the collar. All seams were overlocked and there are 4 Lime Green Shell buttons on the front bodice placket. There is a narrow double turned hem to the dress and the sleeves have a double turned 1/2inch hem.

Conclusions: I am pleased with the dress although a little disappointed that the cotton fabric has more structure and therefore the skirt does not have as much drape. When having the fitting I noticed that the armholes would work well for a sleeveless dress so maybe I will try that for the next version. I have also marked a placement notch should I wish to add in side seam pockets.

Project no 38 completed 25th June 2023